Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Why am I doing this?

I decided to type out all my recipes so I can hand them down to my daughter and also to make it easier for when people ask for the recipe.  What I need to do is start taking pictures of the food.  Lately I have been using a lot of recipes out of this cookbook my Mom lent me. It is called Eat, Shrink and Be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski.  I am going to put one on here today that I made last night.  I thought it was really good.  It also took me a while to make so we didn't end up eating till 7pm when we usually eat at 5:30pm.  So my hunger probably helped but I also believe it is just a good one. 

{MEXICAN LASAGNA}

1 ½ lbs extra-lean ground chicken
1 cup each diced red onions and diced green bell pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup diced tomatoes
½ cup frozen or canned corn
1 ½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 cups your favorite tomato pasta sauce
1 cup medium salsa
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
4 large or 8 small whole wheat flour tortillas
1 ½ cups packed shredded light old (sharp) cheddar cheese
¼ cup chopped green onions
1 cup light sour cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large, non-stick pot or skillet, cook ground chicken, onions, green pepper, and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink. Break up any large pieces of chicken as its cooking. Add black beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, and cumin. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Add pasta sauce, salsa, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat. To assemble lasagna, spread 1/3 sauce mixture over bottom of casserole dish. Top with ½ the tortillas, overlapping and cutting them as necessary to fit. Top with 1/3 sauce mixture, followed by ½ the cheese. Cover cheese with remaining tortillas, followed by remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese over sauce and top with green onions. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes. Let lasagna stand for at least 10 minutes before slicing for easier serving. Top each piece with a dollop of sour cream.
Makes 8 servings
PER SERVING
CAL 319; TOTAL FAT 7.9g; SATURATED FAT 3.7g; PROTEIN 31g; CARBOHYDRATE 30g; FIBER 5.5g; CHOLESTEROL 73mg; SODIUM 749mg
From: Eat, Shrink & Be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski

I of course used ground turkey.  I use ground turkey for a lot of recipes.  I also added a bit more cheese than called for.  I know it is suppose to be a healthy recipe but come on people now.  I love cheese.  I think I could probably be a vegetarian but I would really not be able to handle being a vegan.  I need my cheese.  Since I didn't add my recipe from yesterday I will add that too. 

{PIZZA DOUGH}

1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp flax meal or ground flaxseed
1 envelope (2 ¼ tsp) Fleischmann’s quick-rising yeast
½ tsp salt
2/3 cup very warm water
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp liquid honey
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tbsp cornmeal
In a medium bowl, combine both flours, flax meal, yeast, and salt. Mix well. Measure warm water in measuring cup, and then stir in olive oil and honey. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and mix using a wooden spoon to form a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes. Spray another medium bowl with olive oil spray and place dough inside. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, spray a 12-inch pizza pan with olive oil spray and dust with cornmeal. When dough has risen, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and, using a rolling pin, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to prepared pizza pan. You can top it with your favorite toppings at this point and bake in a 425 degree F oven for about 15 minutes. Or, prick crust in several places with a fork and bake untopped for 6 minutes. Remove crust from oven, top with your favorite sauce and toppings, then slide pizza directly onto middle oven rack and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes 1 12 inch pizza crust
PER SERVING (1/8 CRUST)
CAL 122; TOTAL FAT 2.8g; SATURATED FAT 0.3g; PROTEIN 4g; CARBOHYDRATE 21g; FIBER 2.6g; CHOLESTEROL 0mg; SODIUM 148mg
From: Eat, Shrink & Be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski

Also from the same cookbook.  This is a soft pizza dough and it is healthy. 
Are you getting tired of my recipes yet?  Are you wondering if I scrap book anymore?  I got some recent pictures from Winkflash the other day that I need to catch up on with my Project Life.  I am so excited for her new designs and all the new goodies she is going to have.  Yippee

No comments:

Post a Comment