Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Busy Busy Busy

Yesterday I hosted Mom's group.  Wow.   I was busy cleaning up in the morning before everyone got here and then again after everyone left.  I was also in a bit of a bad mood so that did not help.  So I guess that is why I didn't even remember that I am trying to post daily.  If anyone is reading this blog they probably wonder if I ever live up to my promises.  Last night I was working on organizing some yard sale stuff.  The Mom's group is having a yard sale on Saturday so last night I was getting that all ready.  I did make vegetarian stew last night and it was very good.  For sure a repeat recipe.  I will get that typed up and posted soon.  I got it off the Weight Watcher's site.  I am making another recipe from there tonight so we will see how that goes.  Tonight I will be finishing pricing my yard sale items and getting ready for the day.  Yipppeee.  Here are some recipes.  Have a lovely day.

{TRADITIONAL SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE}
2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
¾ cups packed brown sugar
¼ cup butter, softened
1 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup finely chopped pecans, divided
Cooking spray
2 cups miniature marshmallows


Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar and next 3 ingredients (through vanilla). Mash sweet potato mixture with a potato masher. Fold in ¼ cup pecans. Scrape potato mixture into an even layer in an 11x 7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup pecans; top with marshmallows. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until golden.
From: Cooking Light Magazine
Makes 16 servings

I never had this thanksgiving traditional dish till I moved to USA.  My family didn't have this at our dinners.  We were really missing out.  This is one of my daughter's favorites.  I make it often.

{CANDIED WALNUTS}
½ cup sugar
1 ½ cups raw walnut halves
1/8 teaspoon coarse salt

Use middle rack in oven. Lay walnuts out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 5 minutes. Test for doneness. If not quite toasted enough toast for 1 or 2 more minutes. Be careful not to burn. Remove from oven and let cool in pan on a rack.
Pour sugar into a medium saucepan with a thick bottom. Have walnuts nearby, ready to quickly add to the pan at the right time. Cook sugar on medium heat, stirring as soon as the sugar begins to melt. Keep stirring until all the sugar has melted and the color is medium amber. As soon as the sugar is melted and the color is medium amber, add the walnuts to the pan, quickly stirring and coating each piece with the sugar mixture.
As soon as the walnuts are coated with the sugar mixture, spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet, lined with wax paper or parchment paper. Use two forks to separate the walnuts from each other, working very quickly. Sprinkle the nuts with the salt. Let cool completely.
Makes 1 ½ cups
From: Simply Recipes

 I use to get these at Trader Joe's and when we moved here I couldn't find them.  Now I get them at Winco in the bulk section.  I have a wonderful salad that I put them on and I am sure that I have posted that one before but I can not find it at this moment.  It is called Carrie's Spring Salad.  It has a poppy seed dressing.  Yum Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment