Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

Confessions and a recipe

I must confess that I am a few days behind on my December Daily journaling.  I plan on catching up today.  I am so excited for my pictures to arrive.  Then I will really be able to show something off.  Ali's December Daily is just so amazing. 
I made this soup the other night.  Wow it was good.  I got a Cooking Light book from the library because I was getting bored with my cook books.  I like Cooking Light recipes.  So here it is:

{CHUNKY POTATO-AND-SWISS CHOWDER}

Cooking spray
2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potato (about 1 ½ pounds)
1 cup cubed carrot (about ½ pound)
1 cup cubed yellow squash
2 (15.75-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1 cup hot cooked wild rice
1 cup half-and-half
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
Freshly chopped parsley (optional)

Heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add leek and garlic, sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in potato and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves. Place half of potato mixture in a blender, and process until smooth. Return pureed potato mixture to pan; stir in rice and remaining ingredients except parsley. Cook over medium heat until cheese melts. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 ½ cups)
CALORIES 302; FAT 9.5g; PROTEIN 12.4g; CARB 43g; FIBER 4.2g; CHOL 28mg; IRON 2.3mg; SODIUM 693mg; CALC 209mg
From: Cooking Light

I also must confess that I misread the recipe when I was making my grocery list so I forgot to get squash.  I had some extra potatoes so I just added them instead.  It turned out good.

No comments:

Post a Comment